We’ll start with the easiest definition itself: It is defined as the average amount of time it takes to load a page right from clicking on the link to completion of the load in your web browser. And complete load means it should have loaded all the components present on the webpage that includes all the images and the links defined.
- When a user clicks on a link for a website, the counter starts its operation.
- The counter starts and analyses the amount of page loaded.
- It keeps the timer running till it analyses that the page is loaded completely.
- It stops when all the components present in that webpage loads fully, which includes the Images and the permalinks or some video (if present) and then it stops the counter and notes the time in seconds.
- The time is noted and is analysed to check for the feasibility of the website and the term used is LOAD TIME.
This way the load time is calculated for any given website and gives an idea about the efficiency in loading, for that particular website.
Now let’s have a look towards the benefits of using the Load Time analysis.
- One major benefit we get if we imply the load time methodology is that we get a fair idea about the time taken by our website to display completely on the user’s system.
- If the webpage is taking a long time to load completely then the user might not wait for the webpage to load completely and move on to another website which is displaying the same results in lesser amount of time.
- It is a web performance metric that directly impacts user management and a business’s bottom line.
There are many factors that affect page load time. Some of which are:
- The speed at which a page loads depend on the hosting server.
- Amount of bandwidth present for transit.
- Webpage design, it is the major thing which affects the loading of any webpage and hence should be made in such a way that it reduces the load time for that webpage doesn’t become too heavy for the available bandwidth.
METHODS TO IMPROVE LOAD TIME EFFICIENCY
There are many ways to improve the metric, some of which we’ll be mentioning here-
- REDUCING REDIRECTS: Redirects stands for the major cause of increasing the load time of a website. This is because the real website loads after getting redirected from various websites acting as mediators. It traverses through a cycle to reach its destination so if this method is removed from between, it can give a positive result of faster page loading.
- CODE OPTIMIZATION- There are several instances where the developers of a website include whitespaces or comments while developing the webpage and they do not bother to remove those even after the development is done. So code optimization should be done in order to remove the comments or the whitespaces present which could result in faster page loading.
Websites with lower page load time perform better on almost all fonts and they rank well in search engines and deliver more positive user experience thereby increases the revenue being generated from that webpage. It should be focussed that the page load time should be improved continuously to gain a profit from your webpage.